[ US /ˈskɹɪptʃɝəɫ/ ]
[ UK /skɹˈɪptʃəɹəl/ ]
[ UK /skɹˈɪptʃəɹəl/ ]
of or pertaining to or contained in or in accordance with the Bible
- written or relating to writing
How To Use scriptural In A Sentence
- Several in company checked him from time to time for his bitter reflections instead of arguments, and wished him, if he could to answer my arguments, which he called sophistry, assuring him that until he did, they must receive my opinion and arguments as scriptural and sound reasoning. Beams of Light on Early Methodism in America. Chiefly Drawn from the Diary, Letters, Manuscripts, Documents, and Original Tracts of the Rev. Ezekiel Cooper.
- Through forty-five songs interspersed with dialogue and scriptural verses, the play emphasized the Saint's complete devotional self-surrender.
- And the issue is this -- starting from the contemptuous defiance of the scriptural doctrine upon the necessity of making provision for poverty as an indispensable element in civil communities, the economy of the age has lowered its tone by graduated descents, in each one successively of the four last _decennia_. Theological Essays and Other Papers — Volume 1
- If, again, it is permitted to pretend that the passage has another meaning, and was written as it is from some reason unknown to us, this is no less than a complete subversal of the Bible; for every absurd and evil invention of human perversity could thus, without detriment to Scriptural authority, be defended and fostered. Theologico-Political Treatise
- Nor does the completion of the canon of Scripture rule out the use of credal statements as tests of orthodoxy and summaries of Scriptural teaching.
- The ordinary people are required to accept the Quran in its literal or exoteric sense whereas the philosophers have much more discretion in interpreting scriptural truth.
- That dogmatic definition seems to have struck him as unscriptural over definition, an intellectual exercise which had developed into a rigid system of control.
- Rather, our purpose is to provide a scriptural evidence for these doctrines.
- The freedom and creativity inherent in Scriptural interpretation and translation allowed Jews to avoid the prison of monolingualism. David Shasha: Monolingualism, Scriptural Translation and the Problem of Western Civilization
- There are scriptural texts for use each day that, taken together, form a kind of mosaic. Times, Sunday Times