[ UK /skˈɔːnfəl/ ]
[ US /ˈskɔɹnfəɫ/ ]
[ US /ˈskɔɹnfəɫ/ ]
- expressing extreme contempt
How To Use scornful In A Sentence
- When the great US sportswriter George Plimpton told Muhammad Ali's trainer Angelo Dundee that the Italian heavyweight Primo Carnera used to wrap a stout rubber band round his member at night to prevent arousal, Dundee laughed scornfully. Sportsmen and their women: history's great divide
- Henry Geldzahler of the Metropolitan Museum of Art is a pouting brat with anxious, twisty hands – "Oh, so you want to be a professional," his scornful denial of her appeal for help. Alice Neel: Painted Truths; In the Company of Alice
- In fact, the only laughter he had heard from her was either scornful or sarcastic, and was usually directed at him.
- He opened the door with a scornful look on his face.
- He was neither a prude nor a Puritan, but he was scornful of self-indulgence, and though he earned a reputation as the champion of the poor, it was only of the deserving and never of the idle.
- He is scornful of modern gurus, or gu-RUS as he mockingly inflects the word, and tells tour pros, ‘If they can't beat you, they've got nothing to teach you.’
- The historical school mistaking what men have done for what men should do and, while often missing the full induction of the past, scornfully rejecting as empty apriorism deductive reasoning from the nature of man, presents a materialistic, evolutionary, and positivistic view of human society, which in no way appeals to sane reason. The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume 14: Simony-Tournon
- So lonesome that there were times when life looked absolutely worthless; when the blue devils made him their plaything, and he saw Billy Louise looking scornfully upon him and loving some other man better; when he saw his name blackened by the suspicion that he was a rustler -- preying upon his neighbors 'cattle; when he saw Buck Olney laughing in derision of his mercy and fixing fresh evidence against him to confound him utterly. The Ranch at the Wolverine
- My husband would scornfully call me an emo girl trapped in the body of a grown woman.
- I was wearing gumboots and a singlet, and thought I would draw scornful gazes towards such disheveled attire.