- a highly publicized trial in 1925 when John Thomas Scopes violated a Tennessee state law by teaching evolution in high school; Scopes was prosecuted by William Jennings Bryan and defended by Clarence Darrow; Scopes was convicted but the verdict was later reversed
How To Use Scopes trial In A Sentence
- None the less, judicial opinion about the use of cameras still remained divided after the Scopes trial.
- An American editor and newspaperman who reported on the Scopes trial, which concerned evolution.
- But the one most people remember is the 1925 Scopes trial, in Dayton, Tennessee, partly because Spencer Tracy played Darrow in a 1960 film about it, "Inherit the Wind.
- It's really too bad that the Scopes Trial, and attendant religeous fervor, is relevant at all today, but we have "Intelligent (sic) Design" and "Creationism" being pushed on people by well-heeled manipulators like Ayatollah Robertson. View from the Northern Border