- the use of quotation marks to indicate that it is not the authors preferred terminology
How To Use scare quote In A Sentence
- Whatever it is that day, we make our gripes, put his "progressiveness" in meanie scare quotes, or maybe even go all the way with "so-called progressive. Josh Mull: What's worse: Steele's Afghanistan comments or the reaction?
- I am cautious of any paper that uses AIPAC as a bogey man, instantly dismisses as propaganda anything — no matter how well documented — that may support Israel’s version of the facts, and puts scare quotes around “Commandoes” when describing 4 armed frogmen from the Al Aksah Martryrs Brigade en route from Gaza to Israel The Volokh Conspiracy » What’s Going on With Turkey
- Whether or not you find the repeated use of what we called "scare quotes" in graduate school a sign of pique or merely snarky is up to readers. McCain Campaign Gets All Ironic in Obama’s Grill - Swampland - TIME.com
- This is such an obvious elision that one's instinct is to read the passage again and look for a misprint, or a set of scare quotes - but, no, it is written as intended.
- Notice the scare quotes around the word assassinating Forbes.com: News
- The intellectual heft of denialism is perfectly summarized by the empty gesture of adding scare quotes. Matthew Yglesias » January Was the Warmest Temperature in World History
- Sample a few choice words, throw them in scare quotes and repeat.
- It needs - in spite of immense difficulties which I shall list below - to be constantly reaffirmed that the only family worthy of being unenclosed in scare quotes is the traditional, monogamous, heterosexual two-parent family. On Thursday, the Legg report will be published along with...