a container (usually with a slot in the top) for keeping money at home
the coin bank was empty
- a thrift institution in the northeastern United States; since deregulation in the 1980s they offer services competitive with many commercial banks
How To Use savings bank In A Sentence
- The federal government has done nothing to eliminate laws precluding the sale of savings banks, or Sparkassen.
- All over Paris are to be seen his workshops, savings banks, hospitals and houses of industry and reform, and, in the suburbs, his phalansteries and his model farms. Edmond Dantès
- Last week, Chief Executive Bob Diamond met with Spanish Prime Minister José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero and other officials, sparking rumors a bid for a caja, or regional savings bank, was under discussion and that the government might provide guarantees against expected loan losses. Barclays' Spain Ambitions Raise Concerns
- I keep my money in a savings bank.
- It is worth mentioning that the South Korean Financial Committee noted that the savings bank suffered a run in some fashion, some "good savings bank, " the results but rose.
- Parsons was chief executive of Dime Bancorp, a New York thrift savings bank, for five years from 1990.
- This is the same uninspired commission of dunderheads that last year "undesignated" the 1915 Cass Gilbert-designed Austin, Nichols & Company building on the Brooklyn waterfront and the 1968 Jamaica Savings Bank, which kind of looks like those cool Kennedy Airport terminals that vandals trashed last year at an unveiling party gone amok. Hello Again
- The money market earns higher interest rates than their savings bank and credit union accounts.
- Unhappily the savings banks are obliged to invest their deposits in state bonds and in first-class hypothecary loans, while the post-office bank invests deposits in loans to the Communes and to the provinces; the former, therefore, are not available in the manufacturing industries and in agriculture. The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume 8: Infamy-Lapparent
- A spokesman said the Alicante-based savings bank, or caja , is presenting the Bank of Spain with a new business plan and an application for money from Spain's state-financed Fund for Orderly Bank Restructuring, also known as FROB. Spain May Take Over CAM After Talks on Merger Falter