[ US /ˈseɪv/ ]
[ UK /sˈeɪv/ ]
[ UK /sˈeɪv/ ]
make unnecessary an expenditure or effort
I'll save you the trouble
This will save you a lot of time
This will save money
- save from ruin, destruction, or harm
to keep up and reserve for personal or special use
She saved the old family photographs in a drawer
- refrain from harming
bring into safety
We pulled through most of the victims of the bomb attack
record data on a computer
boot-up instructions are written on the hard disk
- spend less; buy at a reduced price
spend sparingly, avoid the waste of
This move will save money
The less fortunate will have to economize now
- save from sins
retain rights to
keep my job for me while I give birth
keep my seat, please
keep open the possibility of a merger
accumulate money for future use
He saves half his salary
(sports) the act of preventing the opposition from scoring
the relief pitcher got credit for a save
the goalie made a brilliant save
How To Use save In A Sentence
- We welcome submissions through e-mail because that saves us the bother of retyping the selected manuscripts.
- Why not put in some overtime at the office and find the company a way to save money, increase efficiency, or improve on a product?
- He opens the door for me, and I slide in, scooting over to save him a trip.
- The ensuing grassroots campaign failed to save "embrangle" (to confuse or entangle) and "caliginosity" (dimness, darkness). Jezebel
- ‘I'm sure the retained men are not valued as highly but they work 12 hours and then are on call - if those bleepers go then they have to race to the station, perhaps to save someone's life,’ he said.
- We may still be able to save Las Vegas, as it is encysted by libertarian Nevada... but San Francisco, I fear, is already seething with the RED VIRUS, which has spread to it's outer "Bay Area" provinces, such as Mountain View and other Silicon Valley cities. Obama's Commie Mama
- If we don't save the rich people today they might be extinct tomorrow just like the dinosaurs. * shedding a fake tear for the plight of the rich* knixphan Says: Think Progress
- Jeffrey's voice was rough and his words were harsh but Anthony remained calm and cool, save his eyes.
- The business of the dairy, like the feeding of hogs and poultry, is originally carried on as a save-all. XI. Book I. Of the Rent of Land
- Two executives of a notorious stockbroking firm that fleeced more than 8,000 savers were banned from the City yesterday. Times, Sunday Times