- a port city in southeastern Cuba; industrial center
- a naval battle in the Spanish-American War (1898); the United States fleet bottled up the Spanish ships in the harbor of Santiago de Cuba and destroyed them when they tried to escape
How To Use Santiago de Cuba In A Sentence
- HAVANA – A Cuban airliner flying from the eastern city of Santiago de Cuba to the capital crashed Thursday night with 68 people aboard, including 28 foreigners, state media reported.
- At the harbour now known as Santiago de Cuba, where he anchored on May 2nd, he had what seemed like authentic information of a great island to the southward which was alleged to be the source of all the gold. Christopher Columbus
- The government appears intent on stopping the development of the chapter in Santiago de Cuba, which is Cuba's second largest city, as the dissident group tries to expand. Yahoo! News: Business - Opinion
- If we analyze all these things that we have talked about, including those areas in which we have a crisis such as the oxygen and argon plant that is going to be built in Santiago de Cuba, which is going to open this very year, and all these things that are planned, we could say that the year, even with all the problems droughts, and all disasters, and all the measures that we have had to take, and the low oil prices, and the dollar devaluation and all those things we could say that 1987 is going to be one of the best years of the revolution. 30 JANUARY MINBAS MEETING
- We have paid attention to the sluggish wanderings of the umbilical cord that will connect La Guaira with Santiago de Cuba, the boat that brought it from France, and the news which announced it will increase our data, image and voice transmission speed by three thousand times. Yoani Sanchez: Fiber Optics to Control Us
- Commissioned as an engineer when the Navy sharply divided engineers from deck officers, Reeves served aboard the USS Oregon as it led the chase to destroy the Spanish squadron sortieing from Santiago de Cuba.
- The second largest city is Santiago de Cuba in the province of Oriente, where the Roman Catholic archbishopric was established in the colonial era.
- The band, Septeto Tipico Tivoli, is named after the Tivoli district in their home city, Santiago de Cuba. Cuban Sound Invades New England
- Villar Mendoza's case was especially hard to learn about because he lived in the eastern province of Santiago de Cuba. Cuba and the Castro News Filter
- We have, for example, Santiago de Cuba which is the second largest province in the country and already has a certain degree of industrial development. CEREMONY TO MARK INSTALLATION OF 5 EASTERNMOST P