- Mexican general who tried to crush the Texas revolt and who lost battles to Winfield Scott and Zachary Taylor in the Mexican War (1795-1876)
How To Use Santa Anna In A Sentence
- Disheartened, Santa Anna separated from his large escort and planned to slip through the mountainous country with three attendants.
- The Mexican force has been estimated at from 2, 400 to over 5, 000, the Alamo's defenders numbered only about 185, and Santa Anna declared he would give no quarter.
- Personally devoted to Santa Anna, Marquez was waiting only for an auspicious moment to pronounce in his favor.
- This attempt to confuse the issue went unanswered, and Santa Anna continued his preparations to advance on the capital.
- Ten days later, Sam Houston's army caught up with Santa Anna and whomped him at the Battle of San Jacinto.
- In the Mexican War U. S. forces led by Zachary Taylor defeated a Mexican army commanded by Santa Anna on February 22-23, 847.
- Santa Anna was captured and wrote out orders for his second in command to take the rest of his army out of Texas.
- The unwise patronage policy of the Santa Anna administration had been very costly.
- Two parties, the Federalist and the Centralists, quickly appeared, and in 1833 the liberal federalist Santa Anna emerged as President.
- Though Santa Anna never again regained power, he was capable of one more massive act of chutzpah. Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna (1794–1876): master of chutzpah