- any of various small dipterous flies; bloodsucking females can transmit sandfly fever and leishmaniasis
How To Use sandfly In A Sentence
- Their faces are scarred from infections caused by sandfly bites, and they are dressed in filthy rags.
- The organism is transmitted to humans by the bite of the sandfly.
- The local sandfly vector, Phlebotomus argentipes, is largely zoophilic, feeding on cattle. Chapter 12
- I am scratching from monstrous itchy patches all over reaction to sandfly bites I think. HEART of the MIRAGE available in Kuala Lumpur
- The disease begins as an erythematous papule at the site of the sandfly bite on exposed parts of the body.
- The highway takes you through native bush known at Fergusons Bush and then at Pukekura 25 km south of Ross, your attention will be caught by the model of the giant sandfly on the front wall of the Bushman's Centre.
- Human infections with Leishmania protozoan parasites, transmitted via the bite of a sandfly, cause visceral, cutaneous, or mucocutaneous leishmaniasis.
- A sandfly bite often leaves red, itchy bumps -- itchier than mosquito bites and that often last longer. Glenn D. Braunstein, M.D.: The Hidden Dangers of Bug Bites
- Various forms of leishmaniasis are spread by the sandfly and are endemic in 88 countries on five continents.
- Recently a protein isolated from the salivary gland of a biting sandfly was shown to have a very powerful vasodilation effect (this facilitates blood feeding by the insect when it is injected into the host).