[ UK /sˈɑːnktɪfˌaɪd/ ]
made or declared or believed to be holy; devoted to a deity or some religious ceremony or use
the sacred mosque
sacred bread and wine
a consecrated church
How To Use sanctified In A Sentence
- Some critics will accuse Duffy of acting as apologist for a campaign of violent repression, but this would scarcely be fair: “confronted by the sanctified savageries of the Tudor age, it would be a hard heart that withheld pity from the victims or felt no indignation against the perpetrators”. A Not so Bloody Mary ?
- This historic church has been sanctified by the prayers and praises of countless thousands who have worshipped within its walls.
- sanctified wine
- But admitting that the taking of bribes can be sanctified by their becoming the property of the Company, it may still be asked, For what end and purpose has the Company covenanted with Mr. Hastings that money taken extorsively shall belong to the Company? The Works of the Right Honourable Edmund Burke, Vol. 10 (of 12)
- Russia and Gabon are blatantly banning all imports of the other white meat, while Egypt has ordered the mass-execution of all of their unhallowed hoggies (although this could merely be a convenient excuse to settle an age-old Islamic grudge -- why must unsanctified flesh taste so delicious!). Warren Holstein: Preparing for the Swine Flu Apocalypse
- After each prophecy, (and the Tract that follows the fourth, eighth and eleventh) the priest, standing as usual at the Missal on the Epistle side, with the deacon and subdeacon in line behind him, sings “Oremus”; the deacon sings “Flectamus genua”, and all kneel for a moment of silent prayer, then the subdeacon sings “Levate”, and all rise for a collect, as already mentioned for the Mass of the Presanctified. Compendium of the 1955 Holy Week Revisions of Pius XII: Part 6.1 - Holy Saturday and the Blessing of the New Fire, Procession, Exultet, Prophecies
- During the whole of Lent the Greek church still celebrates, towards evening, only the mass of the presanctified, except on Saturdays and Sundays, and on the feast of the Annunciation, when the ordinary mass is offered up. The Ceremonies of the Holy-Week at Rome
- Psychology had sanctified the opinion that youthful rebellion was a natural stage of adolescence.
- Building a family through a marriage sanctified by a religious ceremony is considered one of the most sacred aspects of life.
- For good measure, it has been built to vaastu specifications and, before its departure, was sanctified by Judev at a special ceremony where 101 coconuts were broken and a goat sacrificed!