[ UK /seɪlˈɪnɪti/ ]
[ US /səˈɫɪnəˌti/ ]
[ US /səˈɫɪnəˌti/ ]
- the relative proportion of salt in a solution
- the taste experience when common salt is taken into the mouth
How To Use salinity In A Sentence
- The dominant ocean currents of the region are the North Equatorial countercurrent bringing moderately warm sub-tropical waters from the north via the south-flowing Panama current, and the South Equatorial countercurrent bringing cooler low salinity water from the southwest via the north-flowing Colombia current, reinforced by the cool Peru (Humboldt) Coastal current flowing up the coast of South America and the Panamanian Cyclonic countercurrent. Malpelo Island Flora and Fauna Sanctuary, Colombia
- Small perch caught near the upstream edge of the salinity wedge in Richibucto Estuary had more copepods in their stomachs than larger perch caught further downriver.
- The collected data on the effects of salinity stress on PSII photochemistry are conflicting.
- The salinity schemes across the Mallee area have made a huge difference, that's well documented.
- Except those for Artemia soling , the upper limits of salinity tolerance of both saline and freshwater zooplanktons in this region are higher than those reported by other authors.
- More fully enclosed lagoons and inlets, like Peard Bay and Wainwright Inlet on the Chukchi Sea coast, are less susceptible to influxes of high-salinity water from offshore.
- He suggested that the age of the Earth might be estimated by comparing the salinity of rivers with the salt content of the oceans, reasoning that the saltiness had built up over the eons.
- Drought, salinity, heat and low sediment discharges from rivers have killed cordgrass in Louisiana and caused marshes to brown. Susan Buchanan: Pre-Spill, Coastal Threats Cannot Be Ignored, Environmentalists Say
- Salinity also is a problem in areas with saline groundwater, such as is found in Egypt and Israel.
- Thus, the capacity of plants to counteract salinity stress may strongly depend on their ability to compartment ions in the vacuole and to minimize ionic changes in the cytosol.