- Old World crocus having purple or white flowers with aromatic pungent orange stigmas used in flavoring food
How To Use saffron crocus In A Sentence
- For 20 long days these workers will pick the saffron crocus from early morning until the entire crop of regal purple is gone.
- But you can actually buy and grow your saffron crocus, Crocus sativus.
- One of the most special of the autumn flowering crocus is Crocus sativus, the saffron crocus.
- The world's most expensive spice is the dried stigmas of the saffron crocus, which is native to Asia Minor. Assyrian International News Agency
- Saffron crocus is grown in the fields of Pampore, and in the autumn, the land is carpeted by the pale lavender flowers open to the sky. Tigers & Strawberries » Creating Kofta
- These are stigma - but only in the saffron crocus are these stigma worth thousands of dollars per pound.
- For example, we learn how the autumn-flowering saffron crocus, which produces the most expensive spice in the world, used to earn its British growers huge fortunes in the 16th century.
- Originally from W. Asia, and particularly from Persia, the saffron crocus has also been widely cultivated in S. Europe since ancient times, to be used for its medicinal properties, in food, and as a dye.