[ US /ˈseɪkɹəd, ˈseɪkɹɪd/ ]
[ UK /sˈeɪkɹəd/ ]
[ UK /sˈeɪkɹəd/ ]
made or declared or believed to be holy; devoted to a deity or some religious ceremony or use
the sacred mosque
sacred bread and wine
a consecrated church
concerned with religion or religious purposes
worthy of religious veneration
the sacred name of Jesus
Jerusalem's hallowed soil
worthy of respect or dedication
saw motherhood as woman's sacred calling
(often followed by `to') devoted exclusively to a single use or purpose or person
a fund sacred to charity
a morning hour sacred to study
a private office sacred to the President
How To Use sacred In A Sentence
- When it comes to rock music, the line is thin dividing the sacred and the profane. Christianity Today
- From the early 1620s, coastal Indians supplied wampum (sacred shell beads, polished and strung in strands, belts, or sashes) to Dutch traders who exchanged it with inland natives for beaver pelts.
- Building anew on the old sacred texts, these innovations brought a spiritual renewal to every major faith.
- Certainly observant Jews remember the crusaders as evil butchers, who on their way to Jerusalem, slaughtered and massacred many thousands of Jews and decimated entire Jewish communities such as Speyer, Worms and Mayencea and of course, when they arrived in Jerusalem, put the holy Jews of the city to the sword. On Thursday, the Legg report will be published along with...
- The tapu (sacredness) must be lifted from the manuhiri (visitors) before one can enter.
- Certain batik designs, like the parangrusak motif, are still considered sacred as they were specially designed for sultans, their consorts and crown princes.
- Brahms finished off his sacred choral music with the Op. 110 motets, another trilogy.
- The opera is permeated with the Masonic sacred number - three.
- There is no inviolable sacred ground when it comes to reform.
- The "logic" underlying the sacred cosmos is taken for granted because it is equally applicable to different social situations. Sociology and Religion: A Collection of Readings