[ UK /ɹˈʌfli/ ]
[ US /ˈɹəfɫi/ ]
[ US /ˈɹəfɫi/ ]
with rough motion as over a rough surface
with roughness or violence (`rough' is an informal variant for `roughly')
he was pushed roughly aside
they treated him rough
(of quantities) imprecise but fairly close to correct
he's about 30 years old
lasted approximately an hour
I've had about all I can stand
some forty people came
20 or so people were at the party
holds 3 gallons, more or less
weighs around a hundred pounds
in just about a minute
we meet about once a month
How To Use roughly In A Sentence
- I again affirm that I need make no apology for attaching my name to that of one so worthy the esteem of his co-dogs, ay, and co-cats too; for in spite of the differences which have so often raised up a barrier between the members of his race and ours, not even the noblest among us could be degraded by raising a "mew" to the honour of such a thoroughly honest dog. The Adventures of a Dog, and a Good Dog Too
- The woman is white, in her late twenties to early thirties, roughly five feet five inches tall and of medium build.
- Applicants for government posts are always thoroughly investigated before being appointed.
- Part 6 of the Shadow of the Bat (27: 00) takes another thoroughly extensive featurette that concentrates on dissecting the "toyetic" nature of DVD Talk
- Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man - and I will show you a failure. Thomas A. Edison
- I also have a goldenrod-colored scarf (you know, one of those pashmina-y things) that goes nicely with this, and about two weeks ago I was in "the city" (which seems to be what you call San Francisco, if you live near it) wearing this dress, that scarf, and an old denim Levi's jacket I swiped from my Dad in roughly 1987 (with bright pink leather gloves sticking out of the breast pocket) and a tourist actually STOPPED ME ON THE STREET and asked to take my picture. The Return (With Butterflies) - A Dress A Day
- A second preoccupation evident in these papers is responsibility, and what could roughly be described as the ethical dimension of conceptualisation.
- He finished stretching when he was a beanpole, roughly three meters, or eight or nine feet.
- At roughly the same time, military orders for depleted uranium munitions stopped too.
- Roughly two hours after they begin, Ralph, Begoña, and thirteen others are still dicing carrots into tiny cubes. The Sorcerer’s Apprentices