[ UK /ɹɪvˈəʊltɪŋ/ ]
[ US /ɹiˈvoʊɫtɪŋ/ ]
[ US /ɹiˈvoʊɫtɪŋ/ ]
highly offensive; arousing aversion or disgust
a disgusting smell
a loathsome disease
a wicked stench
the idea of eating meat is repellent to me
How To Use revolting In A Sentence
- She wears a thick flowery hairband, several clashing necklaces and a quite revolting hairy purple cardigan with batwing sleeves.
- Isn't there something revolting about catering to the imagined needs of a tiny group of spoiled ladies, a Marie Antoinette–ish situation that reached its apotheosis when John Galliano showed his infamous clochard collection—the word means bum or hobo in French, and the tattered gowns, hand-stenciled to look filthy, trailed pots, pans, and other refuse—at the 1997 Dior haute couture show? Art in the Parks 3: Nan Kempner's Clothing
- More alarming -- not to mention revolting -- than any revelation, which has come out thus far about Bachmann, Kennedy once commented to Democratic political adviser Bobby Baker, "You know, I get a migraine headache if I don't get a strange piece of ass every day" see endnote 54. Lara M. Brown, Ph.D.: Michele Bachmann and Migraines: Presidential Disqualifier or Sexism?
- One day there came a note from the editor requiring me to write ten pages on this revolting text: "Considerations concerning the alleged subterranean holophotal extemporaneousness of the conchyliaceous superimbrication of the Ornithorhyncus, as foreshadowed by the unintelligibility of its plesiosaurian anisodactylous aspects. Mark Twain`s speeches; with an introduction by William Dean Howells.
- Indeed, this is one retelling of the classic children's story that feels inert, unappetizing, and downright revolting.
- Poor old Sofia has been down to her local carpet warehouse and snapped up a few offcuts of a revolting cerise floor covering.
- "He is the most revolting human being I have ever met," Butler said.
- She could recall the total disgust that she had felt towards such a cowardly weakling who would cry before his peers; it was revolting.
- Now I'm all for anything that celebrates blatant carnivorism, and I'd love to see PETA's apoplectic reaction, but come on: I've been inside a Burger King and while the amalgam of scent that assaults your nose may not be quite as revolting as the aforementioned love sweat of the Mongolian Cud-Spitting Yak, it certainly doesn't conjure up images of sweet lovin 'on a plush rug in front of a roaring fire. Scent of Love
- If we don’t want to define ourselves by things as superficial as our appearances, we’re stuck with the revolting alternative of being judged by our actions. Ellen Degeneres