[ UK /ɹɪpˈʌɡnəns/ ]
- the relation between propositions that cannot both be true at the same time
- intense aversion
How To Use repugnance In A Sentence
- In fact, now he looked closely at him for the first time, he felt a kind of repugnance to him, mingled with a strange feeling of doubt whether a man or a woman stood before him. Phantastes: A Faerie Romance for Men and Women
- Should any gentleman place himself near enough to have his person touched by the playful fingers of the pleasure-seeker, and evince no repugnance, the latter turns around and, after a short conversation, the bargain is struck. Satyricon
- His particular affinity is with the Spanish modems, several of whom he has translated; his own poems make similar broad, confident statements of repugnance and loyalty.
- It was indeed Julien, whom she had seen approach the house at the very instant when she was only separated from the abyss by that last tremor of animal repugnance, which is found even in suicide of the most ardent kind. The French Immortals Series — Complete
- Moral insensibility, which is decidedly more congenital than contracted, is either total or partial, and is displayed in criminals who inflict personal injuries, as much as in others, with a variety of symptoms which I have recorded elsewhere, and which are eventually reduced to these conditions of the moral sense in a large number of criminals -- a lack of repugnance to the idea and execution of the offence, previous to its commission, and the absence of remorse after committing it. Criminal Sociology
- In a review of Death in Venice, Lawrence shows his repugnance for the amount of repression involved in the Flaubert / Mann method of composition.
- I could write poetry that expresses my repugnance toward being deceived.
- To my astonishment, Beavers did not respond with the veneer of civility that usually masks his repugnance.
- I was willing to overlook, mostly, the various implausibilities, the sentimental bleeh involving the volleyball, the character's basic repugnance.
- She was trying to overcome her physical repugnance for him.