[ UK /kwˈɛstʃən/ ]
[ US /ˈkwɛstʃən, ˈkwɛʃən/ ]
[ US /ˈkwɛstʃən, ˈkwɛʃən/ ]
an instance of questioning
we made inquiries of all those who were present
there was a question about my training
uncertainty about the truth or factuality or existence of something
the dubiousness of his claim
there is no question about the validity of the enterprise
the subject matter at issue
the question of disease merits serious discussion
under the head of minor Roman poets
an informal reference to a marriage proposal
he was ready to pop the question
a sentence of inquiry that asks for a reply
he had trouble phrasing his interrogations
he asked a direct question
a formal proposal for action made to a deliberative assembly for discussion and vote
he made a motion to adjourn
she called for the question
- conduct an interview in television, newspaper, and radio reporting
place in doubt or express doubtful speculation
she wondered whether it would snow tonight
I wonder whether this was the right thing to do
challenge the accuracy, probity, or propriety of
We must question your judgment in this matter
pose a series of questions to
We questioned the survivor about the details of the explosion
The suspect was questioned by the police
- pose a question
How To Use question In A Sentence
- Second, that the entire Reichstag assented to the declarations made by the speakers on Tuesday that the Emperor had exceeded his constitutional prerogatives in private discussion with foreigners concerning Germany's attitude on controverted questions. New York Times Current History: The European War from the Beginning to March 1915, Vol 1, No. 2 Who Began the War, and Why?
- We do not allow people a second try on a second question when they have so absurdly got it right the first time round.
- Consumers get incredibly upset when dieticians and researchers backtrack on previous findings, proclaiming that products once deemed healthy are now in question.
- The question, which has been eating at Matthews for several years, is gnawing on him a couple of hours later as he decompresses at a party at Spago in Beverly Hills.
- The pursuit of such metaphysical questions is just a high-minded distraction from the more pressing issue of confronting the dilemma of one's existence here and now.
- Adolescence causes the four girls to understand their apartness and question their identities.
- Even I, a tolerant representative of the Middle Way, found myself blinking at this unquestionably Romish style of adornment. ABSOLUTE TRUTHS
- He made the declarations while responding to reporters' questions on the bilateral debt forgiveness agreement during yesterday's post-Cabinet news conference at Whitehall.
- But that previous column leads one to question whether a session bean is necessary at all, introducing the possibility of using entity beans and their Home methods instead of session beans.
- But they may still serve a basis for some generalisation when the issue of ‘partnership’ is brought into question.