[ UK /kwˈɔːts/ ]
[ US /ˈkwɔɹts/ ]
[ US /ˈkwɔɹts/ ]
- a hard glossy mineral consisting of silicon dioxide in crystal form; present in most rocks (especially sandstone and granite); yellow sand is quartz with iron oxide impurities
- colorless glass made of almost pure silica
How To Use quartz In A Sentence
- Here is nobly born quartz living with a green mineral, called epidote; and they are immense friends. The Crown of Wild Olive also Munera Pulveris; Pre-Raphaelitism; Aratra Pentelici; The Ethics of the Dust; Fiction, Fair and Foul; The Elements of Drawing
- Just outside the pub, in Quartz Street, is The Braai & Meat, a small outdoor restaurant, with happy customers tucking into pap and braaied meat.
- Along the Leathad Riabhach gully, the Ben More Thrust steepens into a subvertical fault with gneiss to the NE and quartzite to the SW.
- Most soils are dominated by quartz sand, and are acidic, xeric, and have a very limited nutrient supply; they are coarser, drier, less fertile, and less suited to agriculture than the mesic soils of Ecoregion 84d. Ecoregions of New Jersey (EPA)
- A quartz crystal resonator depends on the piezo-electric effect to work. This effect converts a mechanical stress in a crystal to a voltage and vice versa.
- Soft materials such as frits may require only 2-3 hours, whereas hard materials like quartz can take 24 hours or more. 8. Preparation of glazes
- The main constituent phases of these rocks are plagioclase, hornblende, pyroxene, quartz and K-feldspar, and accessory phases include magnetite, sphene, zircon and apatite.
- Survey, those of the Pallaballa range as mica schist and quartz; those of the Sierra del Cristal as “probably schistose grit, but not definitely determinable by inspection,” and Travels in West Africa
- Grindstones can easily be made locally from 20 litres of good quality cement and 50 litres of quartzitic sand with 1 mm or smaller particle size. Chapter 3
- It is traversed by veins of quartz, containing cannulated and often articulated prisms of rutile titanite two or three lines in diameter. Travels to the Equinoctial Regions of America