[ US /ˈpɹɑvəns, ˈpɹɑvɪns/ ]
[ UK /pɹˈɒvɪns/ ]
[ UK /pɹˈɒvɪns/ ]
the territory occupied by one of the constituent administrative districts of a nation
his state is in the deep south
the proper sphere or extent of your activities
it was his province to take care of himself
How To Use province In A Sentence
- Researchers from the Institute of Cultural Relics and Archaeology of Henan Province in Zhengzhou found the flutes, crafted from the hollow ulnae (wing bones) of red-crowned crane, among fragments of 30 others at the Neolithic (ca. 8000-2000 B.C.) site of Jiahu in central Henan Province. Oldest Musical Instruments Still Play a Tune
- Some fine Specimens of lava from a partially active Volcano in the province of [gap word illegible], in the extreme north of Japan. Letter to Dr. Thomas from Young John AllenNov 19 1866
- Red Deer Catholic schools are publicly funded schools within the province of Alberta.
- Over Fate of Georgia, Provinces With Russian forces appearing to hunker down in Georgia, U.S. and European officials now face a pricklier challenge: Moscow's insistence that it has the right to help break up the country. U.S.-Russia Relations Turn Cold
- And it is no longer the province of secularists and the left, but is increasingly fanned by religionists and the right.
- We may still be able to save Las Vegas, as it is encysted by libertarian Nevada... but San Francisco, I fear, is already seething with the RED VIRUS, which has spread to it's outer "Bay Area" provinces, such as Mountain View and other Silicon Valley cities. Obama's Commie Mama
- The Dutch United Provinces supported the Americans in the Revolutionary War.
- Over the next few issues, we'll be working in partnership with adult literacy groups in different parts of the province to help them tell their own stories in their own ways.
- The deal is expected to more than treble its production next year, creating enhanced cashflow to fund exploration in other oil provinces.
- The coal mines of North China are centred in Shanxi Province.