[ US /pɹəˈtɛkʃən/ ]
[ UK /pɹətˈɛkʃən/ ]
[ UK /pɹətˈɛkʃən/ ]
the condition of being protected
he enjoyed a sense of peace and protection in his new home
they were huddled together for protection
a covering that is intend to protect from damage or injury
wax provided protection for the floors
they had no protection from the fallout
the imposition of duties or quotas on imports in order to protect domestic industry against foreign competition
he made trade protection a plank in the party platform
defense against financial failure; financial independence
insurance provided protection against loss of wages due to illness
his pension gave him security in his old age
the activity of protecting someone or something
the witnesses demanded police protection
payment extorted by gangsters on threat of violence
every store in the neighborhood had to pay him protection
kindly endorsement and guidance
the tournament was held under the auspices of the city council
How To Use protection In A Sentence
- Surgeons grafted tissue from her leg to the outside of her brain for protection.
- Plans for the dam have been vetoed by the Environmental Protection Agency.
- He may also wish to think about income protection and critical illness insurance. Times, Sunday Times
- Therefore, if the vaccine afforded protection for life, there would be a very strong argument in favor of universal vaccination - no chicken pox and no shingles.
- This finding is of great concern inasmuch as the protection principle and measures of gaseous arsine are different from the airborne arsenic particulate.
- Methods: With infrared ray sensor and PLC, to control radiation protection door.
- Above all, lots of protection, such as having a personal posse of bodyguards. Times, Sunday Times
- Granted, people often clump together for mutual protection from an outside enemy. Christianity Today
- No matter how many police raids are conducted, if we cannot guarantee their protection young victims will remain too terrified to testify against their traffickers. Times, Sunday Times
- Every citizen may claim the protection of the law.