[ UK /pɹˈaɪvət/ ]
[ US /ˈpɹaɪvət/ ]
[ US /ˈpɹaɪvət/ ]
an enlisted man of the lowest rank in the Army or Marines
our prisoner was just a private and knew nothing of value
secret (or private) thoughts
concerning one person exclusively
we all have individual cars
each room has a private bath
confined to particular persons or groups or providing privacy
a private place
public figures struggle to maintain a private life
a private club
the former President is now a private citizen
a private secretary
concerning things deeply private and personal
private family matters
How To Use private In A Sentence
- Second, that the entire Reichstag assented to the declarations made by the speakers on Tuesday that the Emperor had exceeded his constitutional prerogatives in private discussion with foreigners concerning Germany's attitude on controverted questions. New York Times Current History: The European War from the Beginning to March 1915, Vol 1, No. 2 Who Began the War, and Why?
- He asked me bluntly, ‘Why would you want to leave private life and take on such a difficult, dangerous and probably thankless job?’
- To supplement his income, he taught private voice lessons in his home and sang in a church choir.
- The magnificent 18 th-century mansion is set in private landscaped grounds at the edge of the town, opposite the golf links and West Sands but totally screened by trees, woods and 18-foot high lodge gates.
- A private benefactor endowed the new Chair of Japanese Literature.
- But for the watermark, the thickness of the paper and the missing security thread, the note, reportedly obtained from a private bank, looked like genuine currency for all practical purposes.
- Having drop-dead gorgeous, private, windowed offices makes it a lot easier to recruit the kinds of superstars that produce ten times as much as the merely brilliant software developers.
- Advertisers pretending to be private individuals will be liable to prosecution.
- But what of the emails, text messages and other private communications between government officials which aren't published online -- will Twitter and Facebook help "democratize" that information as well? Is Social Media Helping or Hurting California Politics?
- Moe is a 32 year old privately-owned chimp kept in a backyard in Los Angeles.