[ UK /ˈɒksɪdˌaɪz/ ]
- add oxygen to or combine with oxygen
enter into a combination with oxygen or become converted into an oxide
This metal oxidizes easily
How To Use oxidise In A Sentence
- Many metals are readily oxidized by oxygen in the atmosphere.
- A second limey slag is used to remove sulphur and to deoxidise the metal in the furnace.
- Over time, however, it oxidizes and chemically degrades to form alcohols, ketones, aldehydes, acids and esters.
- He has devised a process for making gold wires which neither corrode nor oxidise.
- In the processes generally known as bioleaching, stress-hardy bacteria, which can get all their nutrient requirements from the air and the minerals to be leached, are typically employed to oxidise ores to a more soluble state.
- Today, professional whitening techniques go to work on the tooth structure itself, using peroxide to oxidize and decolorize gray and yellow tooth pigments.
- In the atmosphere the hydroxyl radicals oxidise nitrates to form ozone.
- In all experiments the algae were treated with benzoquinone, to inhibit metabolic activity in the chloroplast and to maintain an oxidized plastoquinone pool.
- These metabolites cause hemoglobin to be oxidized to methemoglobin which is unable to transport oxygen. 3 The presence of significant amounts of methemoglobin causes normal hemoglobin to hold on tighter to oxygen. Phenazopyridine
- When the cast electrodes of air-melted steel are remelted under vacuum and deoxidized with carbon, the product has significantly improved purity.