[ US /ˈɑksˌboʊ/ ]
[ UK /ˈɒksbəʊ/ ]
[ UK /ˈɒksbəʊ/ ]
- the land inside an oxbow bend in a river
- a wooden framework bent in the shape of a U; its upper ends are attached to the horizontal yoke and the loop goes around the neck of an ox
- a U-shaped curve in a stream
How To Use oxbow In A Sentence
- It is a rather wild region which, despite being subject to flooding by the devastating river, is also home to a picturesque scenery made up of ponds and oxbows over which willows cast their latticelike foliage. Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine
- Over time (from decades to millennia) these river courses meander across the floodplain, resulting in ever-changing geomorphology and heterogeneous landscape with a diversity of elements such as oxbow lakes, levees, meander swales, and point bars. Iquitos varzea
- Over time (decades to centuries), the river course meanders across the floodplain making the várzea an ever-changing and heterogeneous landscape with a diversity of fluvial elements such as oxbow lakes, levees, meander swales, and point bars. Purus varzea
- Matabililand and the meaning of terminal moraine, oxbow lakes and wave-cut platforms, I was actually staring out of the window and listening to the mastodons calling to one another across the prehistoric landscape. Jasper Fforde discusses Shades of Grey, the first in a trilogy set in a future world recognizable as our own - but only just
- Over time (decades to centuries) the river course meanders across the floodplain making the várzea an ever-changing and heterogeneous landscape with a diversity of fluvial elements such as oxbow lakes, levees, meander swails, and point bars. Monte Alegre varzea
- Fig. 11), when they have attained what is called the "oxbow" form, it often happens that the stream breaks through the isthmus which connects one of the peninsulas with the mainland. Outlines of the Earth's History A Popular Study in Physiography
- Population A was located adjacent to an oxbow of the Bowie River, in Forest County, Mississippi.
- To venture into the almost trackless south of the Rufiji River; to the network of tributaries and oxbow lakes is truly wild.
- During the late 1780s, Chapin's shop gradually shifted from cabriole-legged case furniture to forms with oxbow facades and ogee feet.
- Oxbow Hatchery will take what it needs, and Nestle can bottle up to 300 gpm of what's left after that. Getting to third base with our pristine Columbia Gorge (Jack Bog's Blog)