[ US /ˈaʊtədʒ, ˈaʊtɪdʒ/ ]
[ UK /ˈaʊtɪdʒ/ ]
[ UK /ˈaʊtɪdʒ/ ]
- the amount of something (as whiskey or oil) lost in storage or transportation
a temporary suspension of operation (as of computers)
there will be a network outage from 8 to 10 a.m.
How To Use outage In A Sentence
- Ms. Miller's imprisonment for civil contempt of court was less a perfect storm — to use one of the press 'hoarier clichés to characterize a grim convergence of unpleasant events — as it was a brownout, a distressing midsummer sign that a full power outage is on its way. The Great D.C. Plame-Out, Or: Novak, Lord of the Journo-Flies
- In recent years, the outage has been used to construct or commission major capital projects to extend the plants' capability.
- In the event of a power outage, the inverter is no longer able to detect the grid and will not produce power.
- Despite the short duration of the outage, restrictions on the number of aircraft entering UK airspace or taking off from domestic airports quickly created delays.
- If a power outage hit on a much larger scale, it could shut down the electronic networks that keep governments and militaries running.
- In addition, an outage in the undersea cable to Ireland means that less power will be exported. Times, Sunday Times
- After dinner we went to the library in case we still had no power (when you live in the country the absolute pitch black of a nighttime power outage is a little disconcerting with small, squirrely, active children) and then came home to lights and Cheerio Chocolate Chip Cookies. Lights Out! The Best Laid Plans Of Mice And Men…Cheerio Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Lately Metro has taken a lot of heat because of persistent subway system deficiencies: lack of air conditioning in rail cars; escalator and elevator outages; and operator or equipment failures resulting in derailments and collisions -- along with injuries and fatalities. Shaping the City: Let there be light (carefully) in Metro stations
- The installation went smoothly, but I'm getting these small reoccurring outages that are driving me crazy.
- there will be a network outage from 8 to 10 a.m.