[ UK /ɒzmˈəʊsɪs/ ]
[ US /ˌɔzˈmoʊsɪs/ ]
[ US /ˌɔzˈmoʊsɪs/ ]
- (biology, chemistry) diffusion of molecules through a semipermeable membrane from a place of higher concentration to a place of lower concentration until the concentration on both sides is equal
How To Use osmosis In A Sentence
- In vascular plant biology, electro-osmosis is also used as an alternative or supplemental explanation for the movement of polar liquids via the phloem.
- Basically, when you put salt into a bucket of water and add a piece of meat ... chicken for example, a scientific process called osmosis begins to take effect. Corn Nation
- The most common alternative, reverse osmosis, is cheaper, but it 's still pricey and energy-intensive. High-Tech Cures for Water Shortages
- Early organisms likely exploited these gradients through a process called chemiosmosis, in which the proton gradient is used to drive synthesis of the universal energy currency, ATP, or simpler equivalents. PhysOrg.com - latest science and technology news stories
- More recently, we have also developed a method for examining the microscopic and macroscopic properties of fluids with restricted flow geometries, such as permeable and semi-permeable membranes, and used it to study phenomena such as osmosis, reverse osmosis and electro-osmosis. Contributor: Sohail Murad
- The author's investigations of the electro-osmosis of an aqueous solution of Neradol D [Footnote: _Collegium_, 1920, 597, 24.] proved that dicresylmethanedisulphonic acid exhibits anodic migration; hence this product possesses negative charge and acidic character. Synthetic Tannins
- Upon application of an electric field, electro-osmosis generates bulk fluid flow in the device, and a protocol for eliminating this flow by attaching a polymer brush to all silicon oxide surfaces is shown to be effective.
- Carol Johnson took the podium of a lecture hall one recent morning to walk 79 students enrolled in an introductory biology course through diffusion, osmosis and the phospholipid bilayer of cell membranes. Putting a Price on Professors
- Her first set was a combination of songs Eliza had absorbed from her famous parents through osmosis, a Billy Brag number and tracks from her new album, Anglicana.
- The open office is a tremendous opportunity to share knowledge and learn by osmosis.