[ UK /ˈɔːɹiəntˌeɪtɪŋ/ ]
positioning with respect to a reference system or determining your bearings physically or intellectually
an orienting program for new employees
noticed the bee's momentary orienting pause before heading back to the hive
How To Use orientating In A Sentence
- Their teacher told Amelia that the Year 10 students were actually very good at orientating themselves in the city and although they won't admit it, they could use the public transport system really well.
- Mosquitoes and many other insects bask in flowers, orientating their bodies to absorb solar radiation.
- More generally, you must start the process of reorientating political and security thinking towards the real long-term global challenges. open Democracy News Analysis - Comments
- In addition to the usual concerns about disorientating readers with mid-chapter narrator/POV shifts, I think that this passage might not feel coherent with the rest of the chapter. Superhero Nation: how to write superhero novels and comic books » How to Do Multiple Narrators and POVs with Style
- Direct sunlight is eliminated by orientating glazed sides to the south-east.
- Aided by the spooky sounds of a theremin, "Radio Play" explores what he called "a fragmented psychology," and leads audiences in and out of familiar and disorientating material—a technique he also employs in his stand-up comedy act. An Old-Fashioned Show in the Hair and Now
- On the other hand, solar heat gain is minimised by orientating the house with the long axis running east-west.
- On the mission, basic curriculum of the undergraduate needs orientating as curriculums on foundation of the skill and as curriculums of overall, harmonious development of human being.
- RODNEY Well what we've got is, we've got a Minister of Consumer Affairs in Heather Roy and she's actually reorientating Consumer Affairs because Consumer Affairs used to always be about going around bossing businesses and telling them what they had to put on labels and how they had to do things and therefore putting the costs up to consumers. ScreenTalk
- Schaefer samples and composes sounds with the physical waywardness of an assemblage sculptor, disorientating and reorientating sounds, and adding audio surprises. The Guardian World News