[ UK /ˈɔːkɪd/ ]
[ US /ˈɔɹkəd/ ]
[ US /ˈɔɹkəd/ ]
- any of numerous plants of the orchid family usually having flowers of unusual shapes and beautiful colors
How To Use orchid In A Sentence
- Wet meadows between rock outcrops include grasses, sedges, mosses, pitcher plant Saracenia purpurea, sundew Drosera sp. and purple fringed orchid Habenaria psycodes. Gros Morne National Park, Canada
- There is also a small genus of orchids, called coralroots, that obtains the majority of its nutrition from a mycorrhizal association with soil fungi.
- A delectable path, for example, runs up behind the cemetery, bordered by butterfly orchids and lithospermum and aristolochia and other plants worthy of better names; it winds aloft, under shady chestnuts, with views on either side. Alone
- WHAT are the white fluffy bits on my moth orchid? The Sun
- Rotate showy plants, such as orchids, begonias, and bromeliads, into your garden for color all year.
- Tuesday, 19 February 2008 first signs of spring - centre piece of the month february pick whatever flowers you get at the supermarket to make this little basket filled with flowers. ranunculus are my favourites and available all over the place at the moment, so i chose to put them into this flowery centrepiece. the orchid is quite fancy but you just really need one to pimp this up (and it keeps for ever!). a rose or two, some ivy and green leaves from the forest and you are all set. to get started line a basket with some foil and trim on the edges. soak some floral foam in water and place in the basket, when soaked wet (can be really, really wet - it will have to work as a vase to the flowers), eventually cut and trim the floral on the edges, so that it resembles an arch. trim flowers and green leaves and stick into pot. start doing so on the bottom of foam, working upwards until you have an even flowery centrepiece. make sure foam stays moist - adding some water from time to time. Archive 2008-02-01
- Moth orchids should be repotted in spring but only into a very slightly larger, clear plastic pot. The Sun
- As well as pollinating the orchids, the bees are the chief pollinators of canopy trees.
- In a number of orchid species, the outer tangential walls of short cells have numerous wall ingrowths that greatly expand the surface area of the plasma membrane and, thus, resemble transfer cells.
- At the May state dinner for Mexican President Felipe Calderón, prickly pear cactus showed up in vermeil wine coolers, and Dowling also tucked a few among the in the centerpieces of fuchsia roses and Cattleya orchids. White House florist shows Obamas' relaxed style