- (computer science) software that controls the execution of computer programs and may provide various services
How To Use operating system In A Sentence
- Soldiers assigned to staff positions must be computer-literate and seek training for the operating systems and programs they will use.
- Microsoft is aiming to have the initial releases of the new operating system available in the second half of 2001.
- Samsung, which for a while supported four different operating systems including its own, called bada, as well as Symbian, Microsoft's Windows Phone 7, and Android, has quietly shifted its focus almost exclusively to the Android over the past few months, so that roughly 80% of the phones its ships run on it. Software Rules at Spain's Phone Confab
- Depending on the amount of data, a server with applications, settings, and data can often be recovered in less time than it would take to reinstall the operating system alone.
- We supported one single operating system, called MVS back in those days, on one computer. Oral History Interview with Jim Goodnight, July 22, 1999. Interview I-0073. Southern Oral History Program Collection (#4007)
- Preparation includes making backups of all software (including operating systems) and making a contingency plan.
- One can't simply install the operating system on an existing machine, pop in a couple of peripherals and go.
- Most of the mobile phone viruses target handsets that use the Symbian operating system.
- By the time I got home again I could afford to spend 55 minutes reinstalling my godforsaken operating system which was more or less all it took, I think.
- It's hardware core and software kernel are embedded micro processor and embedded operating system respectively.