- heart surgery in which the rib cage is spread open, the heart is stopped and blood is detoured through a heart-lung machine while a heart valve or coronary artery is surgically repaired
How To Use open-heart surgery In A Sentence
- In fact, valves can now be put in in a same-day procedure through a heart catheterization, rather than open-heart surgery. Tetralogy of Fallot — Life After TOF Surgery
- His daughter, now a healthy toddler, had open-heart surgery when she was a few weeks old, a time he remembers as traumatic and upsetting.
- He performed the first open-heart surgery in the world to close a hole in the heart with the help of a microchip camera.
- Their bark and roots contain curare, a lethal poison, which in small doses is now used as a muscle relaxant for open-heart surgery.
- Thirty years ago, in the midst of a double-barrelled open-heart surgery, I suffered a complete heart block and was wired up to an external pacemaker.
- Other research suggests that men who undergo open-heart surgery have a sevenfold decrease in mortality if they draw strength from religious faith and regularly get together with a group of people, such as a bowling league.
- Four patients had previous open-heart surgery (three aortocoronary bypasses and one surgical repair of a congenital lesion).
- Blood's tendency to coagulate upon contact with foreign objects creates a special challenge for manufacturers of devices used in such procedures as open-heart surgery, dialysis, and catheter insertion.