- any of the numerous small cone-shaped eyes that make up the compound eyes of some arthropods
How To Use ommatidium In A Sentence
- Their compound eyes have up to 30,000 facets, each of which is a separate light-sensing organ or ommatidium, arranged to give nearly a 360° field of vision, important for taking prey on the wing, as has done the female shown above. Michigan in Pictures
- Note that in the insect ommatidium (unlike vertebrate limbs and Drosophila appendages) cells are being specified and determined individually, not as groups of cells.
- The adult retina is composed of 750 unit eyes known as ommatidia; each ommatidium contains precisely 14 cells.
- In the honeybee each ommatidium contains six green photoreceptors, which give rise to the short visual fibres. PLoS ONE Alerts: New Articles
- In Bombus impatiens a similar pattern is likely, since UV opsin is found in zero, one or two receptors per ommatidium, and these cells always correspond to the R1 or R5 photoreceptors PLoS ONE Alerts: New Articles
- We do not know the stages through which the eye has passed to its present perfected state, but, since the number of simple eyes (facets) has become very much greater in the male than in the female, we may assume that their increase is due to a gradual duplication of the determinants of the ommatidium in the germ-plasm, as I have already indicated in regard to sense-organs in general. Evolution in Modern Thought
- Since insects have compound eyes (with straight tubes or light guides radiating out from the centre of the eye like the spines of a hedgehog), this might amount in practice to something as simple as keeping the light in one particular tube or ommatidium. The God Delusion
- Each of the crab's ommatidium is like one of your camera's pixels - but instead of millions there is just 8,000. Latest News - Yahoo!7 News
- Nephrops norvegicus), and increases in sensitivity up to 1000 above the more common apposition type eye (where light remains within a single facet/ommatidium). CreationWiki - Recent changes [en]
- The ommatidium, or ‘unit eye,’ is reiterated nearly 800 times in the compound eye.