- tissue consisting of glial cells with sheetlike processes that form the myelin sheath of nerve fibers
How To Use oligodendroglia In A Sentence
- The astrocytes will stain with glial fibrillary acid protein, the oligodendroglia - like cells with S100 but not with glial fibrillary acid protein, and the neurons with synaptophysin and/or neurofilament.
- Three cell types are found: astrocytes with their two varieties, protoplasmic and fibrous; oligodendroglia; and microglia.
- No Lewy bodies were identified; however, ubiquitin-positive glial cytoplasmic inclusions were identified in striatal and nigral oligodendroglia.
- As in herpes encephalitis, the inclusions in SSPE may be found in neurons, astrocytes, and oligodendroglia.
- It also may harm processes of the oligodendroglia, cells found in the central nervous system that form the myelin sheath protecting the axon, a component of nerve cells.
- Microglia are the smallest of the neuroglia, and, unlike the ectodermally derived macroglia (astrocytes and oligodendroglia), they are formed from the mesoderm.
- In addition, the recombination observed in astrocytes (also in cerebellar Bergmann glia and retinal Müller cells) hints towards a role of oligodendroglial genes (PLP) in early astroglia differentiation, supporting the idea of PLP+ glia progenitors, which give rise to astrocytes PLoS ONE Alerts: New Articles
- The relationship of such nerve fibers to oligodendroglia in the central nervous system is not quite so intimate.