- commonly cultivated Old World woody herb having large pinkish to red flowers
- the loser in a game of old maid
- a card game using a pack of cards from which one queen has been removed; players match cards and the player holding the unmatched queen at the end of the game is the loser (or `old maid')
- an elderly unmarried woman
- any of various plants of the genus Zinnia cultivated for their variously and brightly colored flower heads
How To Use old maid In A Sentence
- Old maids are prim'd — the coxcombs cough perfume, The Age Reviewed
- The school is also encouraging parents to introduce their children to cards games such as old maid, snap and bridge.
- This rich man had an old maid servant who looked after most of of his household.
- I'm sure there some great stories behind some of these phrases. audio audio system back connection outlet diary schedule book driver screwdriver eye shopping window shopping gagman comedian handle steering wheel hand-phone header hearing listening comprehension nail polish massage facial meeting blind date morning call old maid open car convertible remote control revival cover service free of charge sign sports dance ballroom dance talent Netvouz - new bookmarks
- Prudence is a rich ugly old maid courted by Incapacity.
- She remained unruffled, and was similarly nonchalant about the the recent disclosure on the Internet of the true age of a large group of actresses, revealing her to be an old maid.
- Saturday nights after dinner are good times for card games: crazy eights, rummy, old maid, poker, 21.
- It might be an idea to leave your dear old maiden aunt behind. Times, Sunday Times
- Alex is too young to be already thinking of herself as an old maid.
- She was two years his senior, and had long ranked as an old maid She had taught school, and was known by the young generation as the sternest disciplinarian in its experience. THE PRODIGAL FATHER