[ UK /əfˈɛnd/ ]
[ US /əˈfɛnd/ ]
[ US /əˈfɛnd/ ]
cause to feel resentment or indignation
Her tactless remark offended me
act in disregard of laws, rules, contracts, or promises
offend all laws of humanity
break a law
violate the basic laws or human civilization
break a promise
strike with disgust or revulsion
The scandalous behavior of this married woman shocked her friends
hurt the feelings of
This remark really bruised my ego
She hurt me when she did not include me among her guests
How To Use offend In A Sentence
- Offenders may be liable to a heavy fine.
- So let vs, which this chaunge of weather vew, chaunge eeke our mynds and former liues amend the old yeares sinnes forepast let vs eschew, and fly the faults with which we did offend. Amoretti and Epithalamion
- We take a hard line with soft drinks - and cola is the worst offender.
- I'm personally offended both by the error on the Times website and by your association of me with what you call the intentional slander of US marines. Rightwing Spin That Haditha Massacre Never Occurred
- I went into the office to find the offender, and saw a worried woman crumpled in a chair in the corner, wearing a look of weariness and doubt.
- Ignorance of Sarah Palin offends anyone who is educated, it's an insult to the intellectual world, american intelligence. Palin plans 'aggressive' fundraising push
- Then, when cashiered out of the navy after refusing to follow orders which offended his conscience, he is visited by the mysterious benefactor who has shadowed him his entire life, who invites him to join a highly exclusive gentlemen's club, Redking's. REVIEW: Not Less Than Gods and The Women of Nell Gwynne's by Kage Baker
- The overriding principle is not to offend the sensitive by immoderate cachinnation at an inappropriate joke. Times, Sunday Times
- Who would be held responsible if this man offended again?
- Though he has been on scholarship for the past two seasons, Mr. Merriewether, who wasn't recruited, says he's offended by the term walk-on and has done everything he can to welcome the nonscholarship players into the team's rituals. Who Invited All the Walk-Ons?