[ US /əbˈteɪn/ ]
[ UK /ɒbtˈeɪn/ ]
[ UK /ɒbtˈeɪn/ ]
be valid, applicable, or true
This theory still holds
come into possession of
How did you obtain the visa?
receive a specified treatment (abstract)
I got nothing but trouble for my good intentions
These aspects of civilization do not find expression or receive an interpretation
His movie received a good review
How To Use obtain In A Sentence
- Your Honour, we have not appealed against that, but what we do say is that we have sufficient standing to obtain either of the prerogative writs if ultimately the Court were minded to grant them and we do not really need more than that.
- Now, though, insurers find they are increasingly paying out for teenagers crashing expensive vehicles that they would not normally have the ghost of a chance of obtaining cover for.
- It also emerged on Tuesday that actress Sienna Miller had obtained a court ruling ordering phone operator Vodafone to disclose data relating to other users - so-called third party disclosure.
- The overall seaminess of that enterprise is so underreported that just last week, one of the Post's own reporters felt like they had to obtain a quote in order to get the dictionary definition of "lobbyist" into their story. Peter Orszag's Move From The White House To Citigroup Should Definitely Trouble You
- But for the watermark, the thickness of the paper and the missing security thread, the note, reportedly obtained from a private bank, looked like genuine currency for all practical purposes.
- She probably didn't appreciate that the master was without jurisdiction to make that order since her predecessor had obtained it.
- Hand, Schryhart, Arneel, and Merrill, weighted with this inpouring flood of stock, which they had to take at two-twenty, hurried to their favorite banks, hypothecating vast quantities at one-fifty and over, and using the money so obtained to take care of the additional shares which they were compelled to buy. The Titan
- We obtained a loan from the government.
- There is also a small genus of orchids, called coralroots, that obtains the majority of its nutrition from a mycorrhizal association with soil fungi.
- The best adequacy for EA was obtained by combinations of imipenem/cilastatin or piperacillin/tazobactam, amikacin and a glycopeptide, with values reaching 99% and 94%, respectively. BioMed Central - Latest articles