[ US /ˌɑbɫəˈɡeɪʃən/ ]
[ UK /ˌɒblɪɡˈeɪʃən/ ]
[ UK /ˌɒblɪɡˈeɪʃən/ ]
the state of being obligated to do or pay something
he is under an obligation to finish the job
- a written promise to repay a debt
- a legal agreement specifying a payment or action and the penalty for failure to comply
- a personal relation in which one is indebted for a service or favor
the social force that binds you to the courses of action demanded by that force
we must instill a sense of duty in our children
every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity, an obligation; every possession, a duty
How To Use obligation In A Sentence
- Now that I think about it, direct property distraint was a recognized means of compelling welchers to fulfill their obligations in the quasi-anarchic Brehon laws of Celtic Ireland, even if it was a case of tenants or debtors going after landlords or creditors. Shameless Self-promotion Sunday #30
- In the absence of a clear express intent to abrogate rights and obligations - rights of the highest importance to the individual - those rights remain in force.
- There is also a strongly felt obligation to succeed, seen in an emphasis on the importance of formal education. Sociology
- Thou shalt not deliver unto his master," &c., sets the servant free from his _authority_ and of course, from all those liabilities of injury, to which _as his servant_, he was subjected, but not from the obligation of legal contracts. The Anti-Slavery Examiner, Part 1 of 4
- Rather than giving to those countries in most need, O'Neill said, ‘We have an obligation to plant our resources where they will yield growth, rather than squandering precious seeds in unfertile soil.’
-  A chaplaincy is a pious foundation made by any religious person, and elected into a benefice by the ecclesiastical ordinary, with the annexed obligation of saying a certain number of masses, or with the obligation of other analogous spiritual duties. The Philippine Islands, 1493-1898 — Volume 28 of 55 1637-38 Explorations by Early Navigators, Descriptions of the Islands and Their Peoples, Their History and Records of the Catholic Missions, as Related in Contemporaneous Books and Manuscripts, Showing t
- The company was under no obligation to the traditional Papuan owners of the land, who were excluded from the consultations.
- You have been very remiss in fulfilling your obligations.
- However, Capt Amarinder Singh had also made it clear that Act also envisaged termination of all other agreements relating to Ravi-Beas waters and to discharge Punjab government from the obligations hereunder.
- While the lenders reserved all other rights and remedies that might be available under the credit agreement, but "did not by its terms purport to accelerate the maturity of the obligations outstanding. SiliconBeat