[ US /ˈnoʊz/ ]
[ UK /nˈəʊz/ ]
[ UK /nˈəʊz/ ]
a front that resembles a human nose (especially the front of an aircraft)
the nose of the rocket heated up on reentry
a symbol of inquisitiveness
keep your nose out of it
a small distance
my horse lost the race by a nose
the front or forward projection of a tool or weapon
he ducked under the nose of the gun
a natural skill
he has a nose for good deals
the organ of smell and entrance to the respiratory tract; the prominent part of the face of man or other mammals
he has a cold in the nose
- a projecting spout from which a fluid is discharged
the sense of smell (especially in animals)
the hound has a good nose
- rub noses
advance the forward part of with caution
She nosed the car into the left lane
- defeat by a narrow margin
- push or move with the nose
search or inquire in a meddlesome way
This guy is always nosing around the office
catch the scent of; get wind of
The dog nosed out the drugs
How To Use nose In A Sentence
- You see that you're undershooting and so, leaving the throttle as is, you attempt to flatten your descent path by lifting the nose a bit - and you enter the region of reverse command.
- Again, one file change can put a little red nose next to all of your headers, turn the text red and even make them display in a silly typeface.
- Bouquet: The nose is alive with aromas of Turkish delight, spice , cloves dried herbs.
- I'll just go and nose about a bit.
- He had a thin face, a pasty complexion and a long thin nose.
- Does a father react angrily when his tired, overwhelmed twelve-month-old flails out and hits him on the nose?
- However, I took the risk of putting a hand close to a yowling muzzle and was greeted with a cold nose and a non-committal snuffle before the full-on baying started again.
- The double nosewheel straddled the slots in the deck where the shuttle ran. THE SHADOWS OF POWER
- Looking at Yankee Stadium (home of the world champion Yankees) it appears you can buy a ticket for one of the nosebleed seats, and then after the game starts pick any seat you want from about row 10 up.
- She watched Luke read it, saw the gathering frown carve two grooves over his aquiline nose.