[ UK /nˈɛɡətˌɪv/ ]
[ US /ˈnɛɡətɪv/ ]
[ US /ˈnɛɡətɪv/ ]
designed or tending to discredit, especially without positive or helpful suggestions
not indicating the presence of microorganisms or disease or a specific condition
the HIV test was negative
characterized by or displaying negation or denial or opposition or resistance; having no positive features
a colorless negative personality
a negative outlook on life
a negative evaluation
a negative reaction to an advertising campaign
reckoned in a direction opposite to that regarded as positive
negative interest rates
having the quality of something harmful or unpleasant
ran a negative campaign
delinquents retarded by their negative outlook on life
involving disadvantage or harm
minus (or negative) factors
having a negative charge
electrons are negative
- expressing or consisting of a negation or refusal or denial
less than zero
a negative number
vote against; refuse to endorse; refuse to assent
The President vetoed the bill
- a piece of photographic film showing an image with light and shade or colors reversed
a reply of denial
he answered in the negative
How To Use negative In A Sentence
- Surely you appreciate that for those who regularly attack Israel and its suporters, “Likud” is a label fraught with negative implications that have nothing to do with the political realities within Israel. The Volokh Conspiracy » Human Rights Watch Update
- The problem of environmental pollution roots in the characteristic of public goods and negative externality.
- They will certainly enjoy some respite from the negative headlines which have been barracking them in recent weeks, which maybe renders the result palatable for all.
- These undeveloped land or uncompleted property projects have brought negative social and economic effects.
- Use hydrogen and halogens as terminal atoms (except for boranes and interhalogen compounds) and then use the least electronegative atom as the central atom.
- All 79 patients were seronegative for the HIV antibody by the enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay.
- A person can be recently infected by HIV and have a negative result.
- If all this seems a little negative, let me assure you I now feel an almost pathological fondness for the place. Times, Sunday Times
- a system for negative identification can prevent the use of multiple identities by a single person
- The company doesn't anticipate any negative job impact at the Akashi plant, said Jim Dugan, a Caterpillar spokesman. Caterpillar Joins 'Onshoring' Trend