[ UK /mˈɒdən/ ]
[ US /ˈmɑdɝn/ ]
[ US /ˈmɑdɝn/ ]
used of a living language; being the current stage in its development
New Hebrew is Israeli Hebrew
How To Use Modern In A Sentence
- This textbook provides a modern and accessible introduction to magnetohydrodynamics.
- Modern scientific capability has profoundly altered the course of human life. Times, Sunday Times
- An established order of seeing, of understanding, of ruling, is simply exploded - the Modernist spirit asserts itself.
- The chapel or church claims greater antiquity than any other in that part of the kingdom; but there is no appearance of this in the external aspect of the present edifice, unless it be in the two eastern windows, which remain unmodernized, and in the lower part of the steeple. The Life of Charlotte Bronte
- In Chinas modernization drive, the misunderstanding on "Middlebrow" is not beneficial to the understanding and the promotion of the core ideology of Chinas traditional culture.
- It was here that the Gaelic tongue first arrived in the fourth century - and with it came that form of the stick game which has evolved into the modern sport of shinty.
- Within the context of modernity, the autonomous artist, as a creative being, explores varying moods, passion, sentiments and emotions.
- Our nearest relatives, the chimps tend towards matrilinear, while patrilinear seems more prevalent in a majority of the different aboriginity groups in more modern times. Discovered: the basis of human civilization.
- Eventually almost all postwar writers whose work departs significantly from convention have come to be labeled "postmodernist," a term that has definable meaning but that also has been used as an aid in this lashing-out, a way to further disparage such writers both by lumping them together indiscriminately and by identifying their work as just another participant in literary fashion. Postmodernism
- Vatican a magnificent porphyry labrum found in one of the imperial baths; and Baccius, a great modern authority on baths, speaks of labra made of glass. Museum of Antiquity A Description of Ancient Life