[ US /ˈɫaʊd/ ]
[ UK /lˈaʊd/ ]
[ UK /lˈaʊd/ ]
(used chiefly as a direction or description in music) loud; with force
the forte passages in the composition
loud sport shirts
a flashy ring
a flash car
a meretricious yet stylish book
a gaudy costume
characterized by or producing sound of great volume or intensity
her voice was too loud
a group of loud children
with relatively high volume
cried aloud for help
he spoke loud enough for those at the back of the room to hear him
the band played loudly
she spoke loudly and angrily
How To Use loud In A Sentence
- The forecasts have been asking us to watch out for thunderclouds and thundershowers for a long while now.
- Sony Pictures Animation has a full slate of films including the mouth-watering 3D comedy Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, which opened as the #1 movie in North America on September 18, Hotel Transylvania, now in pre-production and, in association with Columbia Pictures, The Smurfs, now in production. Anton Yelchin and Fred Armisen Join The Smurfs | /Film
- We sat in aw as we listened to Hillary's speech and wondered aloud what she's up too. POLITICAL HOT TOPICS: Wednesday, June 2, 2008
- The sky began to clear and there were puffy white clouds forming as the evening faded away.
- By the time they were lurching slowly along the cart track the wind had dropped, letting the clouds gather.
- Fifty years on and technology seems to have leapt on by generations as you see the mushroom shaped cloud of the first nuclear test bomb rising high above the New Mexico desert.
- Air in free fall does not convect, which means that everything that heats up has to be cooled by fans; the space shuttle is LOUD inside. 8/4/08: Launch Pad, day 5
- The bears are growling loudly. Times, Sunday Times
- The fact that I first met it as part of a pavlova didn't help: the deep clouds of snow-white sugar-cake need a fruit with a sting in its tail (the Antipodeans are bang on with their inclusion of passion fruit) if the dessert isn't to cloy. Tender delights
- The only cloud on the immediate horizon is raising a mortgage - especially if you are a first time buyer.