[ UK /lˈɛdʒɪslˌeɪt/ ]
[ US /ˈɫɛdʒɪˌsɫeɪt/ ]
[ US /ˈɫɛdʒɪˌsɫeɪt/ ]
make laws, bills, etc. or bring into effect by legislation
They passed the amendment
We cannot legislate how people spend their free time
How To Use legislate In A Sentence
- The Government said that it will legislate to keep the parties in the room, and then chuck another $1 million at the Department of Labour, and set up a semi-autonomous, not totally autonomous, unit.
- The book's title alludes to an anti-Semitic law legislated by Frederick II of Prussia that every Jew at marriage had to purchase a surplus of goods from the royal china factory.
- Otherwise, the Commonwealth could always legislate to say certain categories of State legislation are prohibited.
- The FFs surely had a distrust for foreign entanglements that was not evident in delegating to Congress the right to legislate domestically (hence the 2/3rds requirement for treaties). The Volokh Conspiracy » An Eminently Sound Approach to (Supposed) International Human Rights Norms, from the Ninth Circuit
- If the right to recall is legislated to become a law of the land, it can have a very sobering effect on our politicians; many of them take the voter for granted.
- Its main driver, though, seems to be the attempt to legislate away the problems of a post-colonial country steeped in racism of all kinds.
- Proposition 22, which defined marriage to be between a man and a woman and adopted by California voters on March 7, 2000 with 61.4% in favor, was hijacked along with the California Legislative Branch by the Tyrannical Justices of the California Supreme Court which legislated from the bench in direct violation of the California Constitution and managed to null the will of the people and declare Proposition 22 unconstitutional. California becomes second U.S. state to legalize gay marriage : Law is Cool
- The position is that the articles have legislated a particular set of sanctions, namely, that a transfer which does not comply with the article is void.
- This Bush-appointed SCOTUS is going to contribute to our downfall — they have already legislated from the bench, and will continue to favor corporations and business over the people. Think Progress » ThinkFast: March 1, 2010
- Her legislated Church was in place to secure outward conformity, and she firmly resisted any changes which might threaten this aim.