She dashed off a note to her husband saying she would not be home for supper
He scratched off a thank-you note to the hostess
take by theft
Someone snitched my wallet!
get rid of (someone who may be a threat) by killing
the double agent was neutralized
The mafia liquidated the informer
- cut the price of
stop pursuing or acting
knock it off!
drop a lawsuit
How To Use knock off In A Sentence
- He was planning to knock off the library.
- Many walkers take a sketch pad or an easel and paints to knock off their own Constable forgery. Times, Sunday Times
- To apply powder on top of foundation, fill a brush with powder; knock off any excess; cover the centre panel, across the jawbone and down on to the neck.
- He says he can knock off sonnet on any occasion.
- I've a pile of work to knock off before I can take my holiday.
- Will a few years of mockery and bullying knock off their corners, put a little grit in the old oyster? Times, Sunday Times
- Knock off the sludge everybody knows remains on the voter rolls, and that 72 percent pushes 90 percent.
- I manage to knock off my headlamp, and everything goes black. Caves of the Deep South
- In sports, it's fun to root for the underdog because of the small chance that he can knock off a superstar.
- We usually knock off work at about twelve on Saturday.