[ UK /kˈɪŋfɪʃ/ ]
- any of several food and game fishes of the drum family indigenous to warm Atlantic waters of the North American coast
- the lean flesh of any of several fish caught off the Atlantic coast of the United States
- large game fish of Australia and New Zealand
- small silvery marine food fish found off California
- large edible mackerel of temperate United States coastal Atlantic waters
How To Use kingfish In A Sentence
- He chased the unmigratory tropi-ducks from their shrewd-hidden nests, walked circumspectly among the crocodiles hauled out of water for slumber, and crept under the jungle-roof and spied upon the snow-white saucy cockatoos, the fierce ospreys, the heavy-flighted buzzards, the lories and kingfishers, and the absurdly garrulous little pygmy parrots. CHAPTER XV
- Another dream tells of an encounter with a being who held four keys, and bore the wings of a kingfisher.
- They also caught a couple of large kingfish and many skipjack.
- Cats - especially those breeding in the wild - along with stoats and ferrets, moreporks, blackbirds and kingfishers are the worst enemies of the lizards.
- But he was not to enjoy himself long, for the duck was telling all her neighbours about the ill-usage her little one had received; and the mischief-making little wagtail thought as he had seen the lanky bird eating what he called the kingfisher's fishes, he would go and tell, and then sit on the bank and see the quarrel there would be; for he considered that the heron had no more business to take the fish out of the pond than the toad had to catch flies. Featherland How the Birds lived at Greenlawn
- But these days, the chief executive of U.K.-based Kingfisher PLC, the world's third-largest home-improvement group, has a problem that no amount of do-it-yourself labor can fix: His company derives nearly half of its profits from continental Europe. CEOs' Message: Fix Europe, Or Else
- Just months after Edwards Dam was removed, birds such as ospreys, bald eagles, and kingfishers returned.
- They are preyed on by herons, cormorants, kingfishers, goosanders, large trout and eels.
- Snipe, red buntings, yellowhammers and even kingfishers are supposedly hereabouts.
- MUMBAI – Mumbai International Airport Pvt. Ltd. will put Kingfisher Airlines Ltd. on a cash-and-carry mode from Saturday because of non-payment of bills, a person close to the development said Thursday. Mumbai Airport Puts Kingfisher Airlines on Cash-and-Carry