- a device invented by Edison that gave an impression of movement as an endless loop of film moved continuously over a light source with a rapid shutter; precursor of the modern motion picture
How To Use Kinetoscope In A Sentence
- The kinetoscope with its two-dimensional strip and its shutter does the same thing more steadily, and presents the illusion of motion in a two-dimensional area even better than the little hand mutoscope. The Fourth Dimension Simply Explained
- The record comes into focus with ‘Nobody's Playing ’, an introduction that clearly defines a piano-scored slip into Americana, falling through memories real or imagined, recorded on stuttering kinetoscope and dug up a century later.
- 1894 - Thomas Edison demonstrates the kinetoscope, a device for peep-show viewing using photographs that flip in sequence, a precursor to movies.
- Like a film version of the book ‘Low Life,’ these kinetoscopes offer a fascinating glimpse into lowbrow urban pop culture at the turn of the century: sex, death, crime and bloodsports.
- An introductory slide show, which has the flickering feel of an antique Kinetoscope, welcomes the visitor with an authoritative museological voice, intoning that the place "is an educational institution dedicated to the advancement of knowledge and the public appreciation of the Lower Jurassic. NYT > Home Page
- The problem did not arise with the kinetoscope only but had interested the preceding generations who amused themselves with the phenakistoscope and the stroboscopic disks or the magic cylinder of the zoötrope and bioscope. The Photoplay A Psychological Study
- There, Robert William Paul produced a cheaper version of Edison's kinetoscope and gave a public performance in March 1896.
- These shows, while popular for a time in the United States and Europe, could only be “peeped,” one viewer at a time, in another contraption bearing an Edison patent, the boxlike Kinetoscope. The English Is Coming!