[ UK /kˈɪdni/ ]
[ US /ˈkɪdni/ ]
[ US /ˈkɪdni/ ]
either of two bean-shaped excretory organs that filter wastes (especially urea) from the blood and excrete them and water in urine
urine passes out of the kidney through ureters to the bladder
How To Use kidney In A Sentence
- Like all the meals, the jerk comes with red peas (kidney beans) and rice, as well as plantains that are puffy, soft, and sweet like caramel.
- The speaker had, finally, demonstrated the synthesis of hippuric acid and sulphate of phenol in the excided kidney as a function of its cells, by adding to the blood pouring through the kidney, in the first place, benzoic acid and glycol; in the second place, phenol and sulphate of soda. Scientific American Supplement, No. 586, March 26, 1887
- But dropsy was still poorly understood until Bright, who put it all together with diseased kidneys and albuminuria and distinguished dropsies of renal origin from other etiologies.
- In few cases, it could be a sign of a bladder or kidney infection, diabetes, or problems with the urinary system.
- But the condition is also related to diabetes, kidney complaints, obesity and medications such as diuretics, or water tablets, for high blood pressure. Life and style | guardian.co.uk
- Lawyers acting for the victims - including the parents of twins who suffered kidney failure - are claiming damages for injury and consequential loss. The Sun
- There is no cure for cystinosis, which takes its toll on sufferers' kidney function. The Sun
- Approximately 88,000 people are on the national organ transplant waiting list, waiting for kidneys, livers, pancreases, intestines, hearts and lungs.
- The department, which looks after people suffering from problems with their waterworks (bladder, kidneys and prostate) was also one of the first to use keyhole laser surgery to treat prostate cancer.
- During states of ineffective arterial volume, local production of vasodilatory prostanoids and kinins in the kidney offsets the decrease in renal blood flow and helps maintain the glomerular filtration rate.