[ US /ˈkmɛɹ/ ]
- the Mon-Khmer language spoken in Cambodia
- a native or inhabitant of Cambodia
How To Use Khmer In A Sentence
- Frances Smith: Khmer Rouge under Pol Pot in Cambodia is probably one of the most horrific examples of socialist regimes that resulted in genocide — it is estimated that about 25 percent of the population were killed as a result of slave labor, purges, and forced marches. The Volokh Conspiracy » Competing Explanations for the Oppressive Nature of Socialism
- The report concluded that the Khmer Rouge tactic was proving successful and that grassroots sympathy for the group had probably been underestimated.
- The subsequent "secrete" bombing of Cambodia along the so called "Ho Chi Minh Trail" and then a full scaled invasion of Cambodia lead to additional death and suffering of hundreds and thousands of innocent Khmer. Ronnie Yimsut: Journey Into Light
- Not one of the pledges made by the Khmer Rouge then was adhered to; they refused to disarm and continued their campaign of terror in several parts of the country, killing many of ethnic Vietnamese origin.
- He had to deal with sweltering humidity, torrential rainstorms, former Khmer Rouge warlords and mischievous monkeys and elephants.
- This area enshrines hundreds of lifelike portraits of Khmer goddesses, known by the Sanskrit terms apsaras or devata. Angkor Wat Top Shrine Reopens to Visitors | Angkor Wat Apsara & Devata: Khmer Women in Divine Context
- Eighty-four per cent of the population are ethnic Vietnamese, 2 per cent ethnic Chinese, and the remainder are Khmers, Chams, and members of some sixty ethno-linguistic groups each with its own language and culture.
- Government troops have been defeated and the Khmer Rouge now occupy Pailin.
- From the fifth to the fifteenth centuries the dominant power in the area was the Khmer empire, in which various forms of Hinduism and Mahayana Buddhism were popular.
- The move spawned rampant corruption and misrule and led to a bitter civil war that ended with the victory of the genocidal Khmer Rouge communists.