- Italian explorer who led the English expedition in 1497 that discovered the mainland of North America and explored the coast from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland (ca. 1450-1498)
How To Use John Cabot In A Sentence
- They was all'ere, St. Brendan, Leif Erikson, John Cabot, Marconi, Lucky Lindy. THE SHIPPING NEWS
- WHEN John Cabot dropped anchor off the coast of Newfoundland in 1497, his crew reported that they needed only to dip a bucket into the water to catch cod.
- Visions as varied as those of highwaymen on Hounslow Heath, boating at Maidenhead, the days of the "dandies" at Bath, and of John Cabot at Bristol flashed through our minds whenever we heard the Bath road mentioned, so we set out with a good-will on the hundred and eighteen mile journey to Bath. The Automobilist Abroad
- Alongside the Earl will be the Matthew of Bristol, an exact replica of the original ship captained by John Cabot more than 500 years ago that is believed to have made it to America before Columbus.
- Not to be outdone by Spain, England sent John Cabot , an Italian explorer who had become an English citizen, across the Atlantic in 1497 and again in 1498 to explore the coast of North America.