[ US /ˈɡɹoʊs/ ]
[ UK /ɡɹˈəʊs/ ]
[ UK /ɡɹˈəʊs/ ]
- the entire amount of income before any deductions are made
- twelve dozen
a bald porcine old man
conspicuously and outrageously bad or reprehensible
a glaring error
flagrant violation of human rights
a crying shame
an egregious lie
conspicuously and tastelessly indecent
a vulgar gesture
a crude joke
a revoltingly gross expletive
full of language so vulgar it should have been edited
an earthy sense of humor
- visible to the naked eye (especially of rocks and anatomical features)
lacking fine distinctions or detail
the gross details of the structure appear reasonable
without qualification; used informally as (often pejorative) intensifiers
a thoroughgoing villain
a perfect idiot
what a sodding mess
the unadulterated truth
stark staring mad
a consummate fool
an arrant fool
a complete coward
a double-dyed villain
a thorough nuisance
before any deductions
- earn before taxes, expenses, etc.
How To Use gross In A Sentence
- He said this was an abuse of public monies and the fact there was no contribution from the business community was ‘grossly unfair.’
- Added to which there is a large increase in the fees receivable in 1994 to a level of almost £123,000 which accounts for the large increase in the gross profit over the previous and subsequent years.
- For all that, Grossman drinks more white wine than red, partly because he eats a lot of fish and vegetarian food.
- The human species has not evolved such that it can tolerate sitting in that southwesterly location, behind uninsulated glass, leaning on a heat absorbing table of dark steel and not be grossly uncomfortable.
- At present, power is very high orders, to improve gross profit margins.
- It had begun the seventies with the declared intention of contributing 0.7 percent of the gross national product in official aid.
- Figures for income, gross profit, salaries, motor expenses, drawings etc are fed into the Revenue computer system.
- The first is that China will continue to sustain high growth rates in gross national product.
- We live in a world soiled by the grossness and wickedness and filth of sin.
- Grossman's Christmas present, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, is a holiday favorite among hopheads and is one of the standouts of The News Tribune's Brew Crew Winter Beer Tasting.