[ US /ɛkˈstɹɛməti/ ]
[ UK /ɛkstɹˈɛmɪti/ ]
[ UK /ɛkstɹˈɛmɪti/ ]
an external body part that projects from the body
it is important to keep the extremities warm
- the outermost or farthest region or point
- that part of a limb that is farthest from the torso
- an extreme condition or state (especially of adversity or disease)
the greatest or utmost degree
the extremity of despair
How To Use extremity In A Sentence
- I think it's certainly quite a lot of the comedy that I've been involved in is quite extreme, if you like, and the extremity is part of what's funny about it.
- After prepping and draping the patient's extremity, the surgeon makes a stab incision and inserts the arthroscope into the knee joint through a standard inferolateral portal.
- In Being and Time, Heidegger carried Emersonian subjectivity and self-reliance to a point of new extremity.
- The purposes of this study were to report our experiences with high-energy wartime extremity wounds, to define the prevalence of heterotopic ossification in these patients, and to determine the factors that might lead to development of the condition," said lead author Lieutenant Commander Jonathan Agner Forsberg, MD. Dr. Forsberg and his team compared data from 243 patients who were treated for orthopaedic injuries between March 1, 2003 and December 31, 2006 at the medical center, including patients who underwent: amputation external or internal fixation of one or more fractures removal of damaged, dead or infected tissue, or 'debridement' EurekAlert! - Breaking News
- By this action, the highly elastic axis must be bent at the lower extremity, where it is naturally slightly curved; and I imagine it is by this elasticity alone that the zoophyte is enabled to rise again through the mud. Journal of researches into the geology and natural history of the various countries visited by H.M.S. Beagle
- The essence of New York is its extremity and diversity.
- The singing, so difficult to bear for many listeners, never settles into a particular pitch, remaining agonisedly in motion; Jandek presents us with a voice in extremity, and an endless quarrying of pain and related states, in which infinite gradations of suffering are allowed to differentiate themselves. Archive 2007-10-01
- The medial and lateral portions of the tendon of the Quadriceps pass down on either side of the patella, to be inserted into the upper extremity of the tibia on either side of the tuberosity; these portions merge into the capsule, as stated above, forming the medial and lateral patellar retinacula. III. Syndesmology. 7b. The Knee-joint
- It's a show-stopping performance combining repulsive extremity with utter conviction. Times, Sunday Times
- Because man's extremity is God's opportunity!