thrust or extend out
point a finger
extend a hand
the bee exserted its sting
He held out his hand
How To Use exsert In A Sentence
- The Squamscott River Wetlands Component boasts four rare plants: the marsh elder, the stout bulrush, the small spike-rush and the exserted knotweed. Great Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve, New Hampshire
- On the basis of the phylogenic relationships, autogamous species most likely evolved from self-incompatibility ancestors that have exserted stigmas.
- Hesperus exsertat radios, quantusque per altum aethera, caeruleis tantus monstratur in undis. Post-Augustan Poetry From Seneca to Juvenal
- the bee exserted its sting
- Animal-dispersed fruits of boxthorn, Lycium exsertum. Seed dispersal of desert plants
- The exserted stamens and feathery stigma branches, unique in the family, along with the preference of most species for open habitats, suggests wind pollination.
- When two species are attempted to be crossed which are so distantly allied that offspring are never produced, it has been observed in some cases that the pollen commences its proper action by exserting its tube, and the germen commences swelling, though soon afterwards it decays. The Foundations of the Origin of Species Two Essays written in 1842 and 1844
- The _spikes_ are solitary, 1 to 1-3/4 inch long exserted far above the small spathiform leaf-sheaths, peduncles are capillary and scaberulous, pedicels and joints are somewhat flattened, and have along both the narrow margins long, white, ascending hairs; callus is short with a ring of short white hairs. A Handbook of Some South Indian Grasses
- The woodpecker, which has a similar extensile mechanism for exserting its tongue to a great length, also uses it to procure its food -- in its case soft grubs from holes in rotten trees -- and to enable it to pull these out, the end of the tongue is sharp and horny, and barbed with short stiff recurved bristles. The Naturalist in Nicaragua
- All three subspecies are white flowering with a tubular corolla and a long style that exserts the stigma from the corolla tube.