[ US /ɪksˈpɫeɪn/ ]
[ UK /ɛksplˈeɪn/ ]
[ UK /ɛksplˈeɪn/ ]
serve as a reason or cause or justification of
Your need to sleep late does not excuse your late arrival at work
Her recent divorce may explain her reluctance to date again
The committee explained their plan for fund-raising to the Dean
make plain and comprehensible
He explained the laws of physics to his students
How To Use explain In A Sentence
- Thereafter thought, weighing the truth or falseness of the notion, determines what is true: and this explains the Greek word for thought, dianoia, which is derived from dianoein, meaning to think and discriminate. NPNF2-09. Hilary of Poitiers, John of Damascus
- That's when I noticed the little sticker on the window explaining the purpose of the ‘Child Safety Lock’.
- It explains why some people must have a full eight hours' kip while others get away with half that. The Sun
- Her mother has written to him explaining the situation but has not heard back.
- We love our king, we just don't love the way he abuses our money," a Swazi friend once explained to me. How long can Swaziland resist reform?
- And, as I have patiently had to explain to costumers in shows I have directed, footwear is very important for the actor.
- What I really liked, from my white boy point-of-view, was Eddie taking a brief second to explain his continual usage of the N-word: because its power is lessened the more it's used.
- Different methods are a better fit for different people," Lyubomirsky explains."Keeping a daily gratitude journal seems hokey to some people, but writing a letter of gratitude may be very meaningful.
- Nilufer Bharucha, faculty in the department of English and project coordinator, explained that the term diaspora means to be scattered or dispersed across national boundaries, and has been self-consciously used today by postcolonial theorists to describe those who got displaced from their home owing to colonial politics and post-colonial economic realities. Analysis
- It's important to explain the procedure to the patient.